Immigration Lawyer Divorce Attorney Accident Law Firm
Immigration Lawyer | Naturalization Attorney
200 South Biscayne Blvd.
Suite 3150
Miami, Florida 33131
Naturalization Attorney
     Applying for citizenship in the United States is the often the ultimate goal of many foreign nationals who come live in the United States.  However, not all foreign nationals are eligible for citizenship and, if handled incorrectly, the citizenship-  naturalization process may quickly become problematic and may lead to removal proceedings and deportation. If you are thinking of becoming a naturalized U.S. Citizen contact the Casais & Prias to begin the process.  At the law office of Casais and Prias, we prepare our clients for the multi-step process of applying for US citizenship, and make sure they are prepared each step of the way.  Also, one of our attorneys will attend the naturalization interview with you. 

Naturalization FAQ

What are the benefits of becoming a U.S. Citizen?

  U.S. citizens are able to vote in federal, state, and local elections.

  U.S. citizens are also able to run for public office and to serve on a jury.  Additionally, only US citizens qualify for certain government jobs and  scholarships.

  U.S. citizens have access to public benefits, including social security payments.

  U.S. citizens are also able to file petitions for their immediate relatives to immigrate to the United States.

Do I need a lawyer to help me with my naturalization application?

     A lawyer is not required but strongly suggested. A naturalization application can quickly become complicated if not handled correctly. The problems can cause delays and may even result in a denial. It is not unusual for an individual who has had an application for naturalization denied, subsequently be placed in removal/deportation proceedings.

How long is the process to obtain U.S. Citizenship?

  Official USCIS processing times vary from month to month, however most
naturalization applications take approximately six months to process.

When can a permanent resident apply for citizenship?

  Generally, a US permanent resident must wait five years before applying for naturalization. However, if you obtained your residency through marriage to a US Citizen, and are still married to and living with your US Citizen spouse, you can apply for naturalization after three years of permanent residency.

Do I have to wait until the five-year or three-year mark passes before applying for naturalization?

  No, you can apply for naturalization 90 days prior to the five or three year mark.

Is there an age limitation for applying for naturalization?

  Generally, a person must be 18 before applying to become a US citizen.

Who must be registered with the Selective Service?

  Only males between the ages of 18 and 26 must register with the Selective
Service. Not registering with the Selective Service does not permanently bar an applicant from becoming a naturalized citizen, but it may cause problems and  should be handled with care before applying for naturalization.

Are there any individuals who are barred from Naturalization?

  Yes, including but not limited to individuals who are convicted of certain crimes, individuals affiliated with certain political groups, and deserters of the armed forces.

Do I need to speak, read, and write English to apply for Naturalization?

  Generally, yes. In most cases, an individual applying for naturalization must be able to speak, read, and write English. There are exemptions to this requirement for individuals with physical or mental impairments, applicants over 50 years old who have resided in the US as a permanent resident for more than 20 years, or if the applicant is over 55 years old and has resided in the U.S. As a permanent resident for over 15 years

Premier Family Attorney
*The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client.

Immigration Law Services:

Same Sex Marriage
Family Based Residency
Immediate Relative Petitions
• Marriage Cases
• Nonimmigrant Visas
H-1B Visas
L-1A  Visas
TN Work Visa
• Appeals
Deportation Defense
• K-3 Marriage Visas

Family Law Services:

• Divorce
• Paternity Actions
• Child Support
• Child Custody/Visitation
• Domestic Violence/Restraining Orders
• Modification of Child Support
• Alimony
• Child Custody/Visitation
• Annulment
• Equal Distribution of Marital Assets and       


• Car Accidents
• Pedestrian Accidents
• Motorcycle Accidents
• Boat Accidents
• Wrongful Death
• Product Liability
• Slip and Falls
• Dog Bites/Animal Attacks
• Trucking Accidents
• Inadequate Security
• Insurance Bad Faith
• Airplane Accidents
• Medical Malpractice
• Insurance Claims




Click for a contact form
The Law Firm of Casais & Prias
Immigration and Family Law Office

200 S. Biscayne Blvd.
Suite 3150
Miami, Fl. 33131
Phone: +1 (305) 722-8015
Fax   : +1 (305) 722-8016
[Home][Immigration][Family][Accidents][Contact Us][About Us][USCIS]
Copyright © 1999-2015
Casais & Prias Law Office
Designed and implemented by
Robert "Bobby" Rugilo